How does it work?
Students select from five reading and writing choices, working independently toward personalized goals, while the teacher meets individual needs through whole-group and small-group instruction, as well as one-on-one conferring. These choices include
- Read to Self,
- Work on Writing,
- Read to Someone,
- Listen to Reading, and
- Word Work.
The benefits of The Daily 5
- students develop independence, stamina, and accountability;
- less time consumed by classroom management leaves more for instruction;
- the framework adapts flawlessly to our curriculum;
- improves schoolwide literacy achievement; and
- behaviours of independence transfer to other content areas.